Some FAQ's for hiring a hire boat. Hopefully we have your question covered, however, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Depends on the boat. We currently have 3x boats where you need a boat licence, and a similar boat with a slower engine, suitable for those without a licence. So even if you do not have a boat licence, you have a good chance of being able to hire a boat from us. We will require official identification still.
We can accept a lot of International boat licences. They will need to be checked against official Queensland Government documentation. Let us know before launch day if you can.
Your vehicle needs to be fitted with a 50mm tow ball. We use the 7 pin flat connector. Please let us know if you require an adaptor, and we will endeavour to help.
We certainly can. Prices start from $50 at the Lucinda ramp, for walk on walk off service. We tie up to the public pontoon, collect the boat from the public pontoon, clean the boat and refuel it. If you have chosen multi day hire, you will need to be able to securely tie up to a private pontoon at your accommodation. Alternately, we can make arrangements to pick up and return from $45 per day. (Multi day option) Let us know which ramp and when, and we will advise pricing.
Your pooch is more than welcome to jump on board with you. Just remember we are in crocodile country, if they love to jump in for a swim. Additionally, the islands are national parks, where dogs are not allowed. We do not supply life jackets for pets.
Rain, wind or cool temperatures are not ‘unsafe conditions’ on their own. No refunds or free reschedules will be given for bad weather, unless the conditions on (or forecast for) the local waterway are deemed to be unsafe for our hire boats, to be determined by Hinchinbrook Hire Boats staff at the actual moment of hire. Maybe bring some wet weather gear if it's raining. The fish don't mind the rain either way. :)
However, we do have a 3 Guarantee, where you can reschedule your booking for any reason, including rain. The conditions are we need 3 days notice, so check ahead your weather forecast.
Cancellation by Hinchinbrook Hire Boats: If Hinchinbrook Hire Boats determines that the conditions and or forecast for the Hinchinbrook waterways at the scheduled time of the hire are unsafe for our hire boats, a rescheduled booking time will be provided at no charge, or refund your deposit or fee for that day of hire. Local conditions are to be assessed and determined by Hinchinbrook Hire Boats staff for the scheduled time of the hire.
You can reschedule your booking to an alternative date (subject to availability) at no charge with minimum notice of 3 days prior to the hire.. Rescheduling within 72 hours (subject to availability) prior to the hire may attract a rescheduling fee. This includes if you wish to reschedule because you don’t like the weather on the day of the hire event.
Unfortunately, we do not have a vessel suitable for this trip, as the eastern side of Hinchinbrook Island is considered open water. (More dangerous)
At this point, the only way to get to Zoe Bay is by private boat, charter or ferry. Contact Absolute North from Lucinda, to check availability. Zoe Bay access is dependent on weather conditions and availability of seats.
At this stage, the answer generally is no.... However, if you are checking the weather within a 3 day weather window, and the forecast is immaculate (under 10 knots), you may be able to get across and back safely. The other conditions would be, you need to carry a spare fuel tank (supplied if requested/mentioned for island trip), and whether you are camping, or coming back, you need to leave by lunch time-ish most of the time, to avoid the afternoon seabreeze. It can get very uncomfortable, and it's a long way back for dinghies. For Orpheus Island/Yanks Jetty, you may do well to jump out from Taylors Beach instead of Lucinda. Also, you will only be allowed on the western (land facing) side of the islands, as the eastern sides are classified as open water.
For this reason, you are best to only book island trips in standby, when you know the weather will most likely be perfect.